Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Building another house....kind of!

I have always wanted to have a dollhouse. So with the grandkids staying with us this week while mom and dad are in Hawaii, I decided its now or never. I figured it might be easier to start with a bookshelf and just convert it. So after a few days of neglecting my big house, this is the small house I came up with...

This is what I started with.
This is what I ended up with.
Dollar store picture frames were used as the exterior windows. I replaced the glass with plexiglass. The roof shingles are strips of fun foam cut to look like shingles.
Kind of a birds-eye view of the house.
The family room, or game room, complete with rock fireplace. I built the frame for the fireplace out of MDF, then covered it in small stones. I used tile grout for the mortar. The mantel is a chunk of wood that I distressed and stained. The hearth is a rough piece of cedar painted to look like stone.
The bedroom, complete with a family photo on the wall and braided hot pad as a rug.
The bathroom, still in need of a few more fixtures. The tiles are 3/4" squares of fun foam glued in place.
The kitchen with a cast iron stove, "stainless steel" sink, "granite" counter tops, and fun foam tiles on the floor.
The dining room with the bamboo hot pad as an area rug.
Looking through the window into the kitchen.
A close-up of the cast iron stove with a freshly baked apple pie cooling on top! Can't you just smell it?
Every house needs a sewing area.
What house would be complete without an upright piano and grandfather clock?
And the best part of the house? My sweet granddaughter, Shailey, who is soooo excited to have a house to play with.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Wow!! It looks even cuter now than it did a few days ago! I love it! And of course, Shailey looks pretty cute, too. Thanks for sharing! :o)

The Jones Family said...

that is SO amazing!! it seriously looks like an expensive dollhouse you'd buy at the store- really amazing. I LOVED dollhouses when i was a kid.. so fun!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

that is so adorable, and cute! I love it! and what a great idea to use a book shelf- you are so good.

LeAnn said...

What a good idea--You are so impressive Susan! I love it and starting with a bookshelf is brilliant!

Carol and Bruce said...

Genius! That is the cutest thing ever. You never cease to amaze me.